Job Title: Director, Development
Job Location: Memphis, Tennessee
Memphis Music Initiative (MMI) invests in youth, local communities and Memphis’ musical legacy by broadening and strengthening existing music engagement offerings in and out of schools and supporting youth-centered, community-based music education. Our approach is three tiered–Through various unique interventions, MMI seeks to: 1) sustain existing in-school music education and expand instruction through partnerships with local musicians; 2) expand high-quality, out-of-school time school programs to reach more youth and remove barriers to youth engagement and participation; 3) support organizations that are providing music engagement enhance their sustainability and scale high quality programming. Read more about MMI at www.memphisismusic.org.
MMI is seeking an experienced fundraiser and grant writer to coordinate our development efforts. As MMI is transitioning from a fully funded initiative to a long-term nonprofit organization, we intend to pursue local, regional, national, and international funding opportunities. We are seeking a professional with a strong background in facilitating large grant proposals, national level relationship building, and strategic sourcing of development opportunities. MMI is both a grantmaker and a direct provider of youth engagement programming—with such a unique model, we are seeking a creative professional who can tell a compelling narrative about our unique contributions to the community. We are not seeking a fundraiser who specializes in building programs to be funded, rather, we are looking for someone who can find the right partners to invest in our current model and evolving programs, providing underserved black and Latino young people in Memphis with stronger opportunities in music and the arts.
This position is located in Memphis, TN; relocation assistance may be available for the right candidate. The Director, Development will report to MMI’s Executive Director.
The Director, Development will:
- Lead the ongoing development and implementation of an integrated development strategy, in alignment with the overall goals and strategic direction of MMI, incorporating foundation grants, multi-year campaigns, major gifts, corporate partners, and government support;
- With MMI Executive Director, Chief Operating and Strategy Officer and senior management team, determine revenue goals and monitor revenues;
- Work collaboratively with MMI Executive Director to build relationships with prospective donors and funding organizations; Initiate and cultivate donor contacts and identify donor prospects; provide briefings, research and context for ED to advance key relationships and build the partnerships behind the proposals;
- Oversee the creation and editing of grant proposals and reports, solicitation letters, and individual donor proposals, coordinating with program staff on content;
- Proactively seek new funding sources and maintain relationships with relevant partners and allies, determining the appropriate roles for staff and Board members to play in cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding donors and prospects;
- Identify potential key influencers to join MMI Board of Directors and/or Development Committee. Effectively collaborate with and leverage connections from the Board to establish a broad base of support from diverse revenue streams;
- Present information and updates on development activities to the Development Committee, ED, Board of Directors, and other constituencies. Monitor progress toward fundraising goals for all campaigns; organize and share regular updates with key constituent leaders including senior staff
- An accomplished front-line fundraiser with a minimum of 5 to 7 years of proven success in development
- Demonstrated experience in grant writing and success in foundation grants, major gifts and building corporate sponsorships
- Deep knowledge of fundraising best practices with a record of growth and innovation
- Well-developed communication and presentation skills
- Proven ability to strategize, define and meet fundraising goals
- Ability to leverage digital and social media technology to support development strategy and partnerships
- Bachelor’s degree is required
- Passion for music and arts education, advocate for underserved youth
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Significant track record of building and leading successful fundraising programs for nonprofit arts, cultural or educational organizations
- Strong existing relationships with national level funders
- Advanced, senior level skills in creating core narratives and messaging that preserves the integrity of programming while highlighting the investment opportunity for funders
To apply, please send a cover letter including salary requirements and a resume to the attention of the Hiring Committee to email@example.com.